Back-to-school time can be both exciting and stressful for students and parents alike. Getting ready for the first day of classes is a family effort. Here are some tips to smooth the process.
First Day Tips
- If your child seems nervous, remind them that there are a lot of students who are uneasy about the first day of school
- Point out the positive aspects of starting school—getting to see old friends again, meeting new friends, learning about interesting things, etc.
- Find another child in the neighborhood with whom your student can walk to school or ride on the bus
- If it is a new school for your child, attend any available orientations and take an opportunity to tour the school before the first day
- If you feel it is needed, drive your child (or walk with her) to school and pick her up on the first day
Backpack Safety Tips
- When selecting a backpack, look for:
- An ergonomic design
- The correct size: never wider or longer than your child’s torso and never hanging more than 4 inches below the waist
- Padded back and shoulder straps
- Hip and chest belts to help transfer some of the weight to the hips and torso
- Multiple compartments to better distribute the weight
- Compression straps on the sides or bottom to stabilize the contents
- Reflective material